Sunday, June 08, 2008

Songs of the day

They say that college is where you meet the friends you'll have for the rest of life. My own college experience was a little fractured. I went to college right out of high school and I did make a few good friends, but none that lasted.

Making friends has never been super easy for me. I'm shy. I'm an incredibly open person so I tend to connect with people really quickly but it's all contingent on them engaging me because I don't know how to approach people and start conversations. When I went to college I decided that while I couldn't change that about myself I could say yes to every new experience, and I did, and I may have developed some really great lifelong friends if I'd stayed in school to the end, but I dropped out after two years.

I'm bad at keeping in touch with people and my closest friends were my boyfriends roommates anyway. Not that they were just his friends, but I did think that occasionally and I think I put all the responsibility on him to keep in touch with them. I miss them a lot actually, I wish it had been true that they'd become lifelong friends.

After two years at Western I dropped out and moved back to Seattle from Bellingham (and so did the boyfriend) so we lost touch with our college friends. We'd moved away, we'd left school, we just weren't in the same place as them in either life or location.

I've made some great friends in life. I've even made some really great girl friends in the past 5 years and that's something I never thought would happen. However, I've still felt like I missed out on the lifelong college friends thing.

I went back to school a few years ago to finish my degree and I got a second chance. I met a bunch of really cool people the second time around, which I thought would be hard because I was older but that didn't seem to matter. The problem comes now that I'm done with school. Like I said, I'm really bad at keeping in touch with people. Even if I only manage to keep one friend I made in college though, I'll count that as a success.

So, I made a point of keeping in touch with one friend I made in school the second time around. I decided, to relieve myself of trying to come up with things to say, I would send him e-mails with songs of the day and I did that for a little over a year. I decided to take the training wheels off though and, of course, I'm having some trouble. I don't know how to keep in touch with someone that I don't see everyday. Maybe I should reach for the crutch and re-start the songs of the day, but this inability to keep in touch with people, and the deeper inability to start conversations, is something I'd like to be able to change about myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger CV said...

Hey you. I know the calls and emails between as are few and far between, but we always seem to pick up where we left off. Can't wait to see you during your next trip to L.A. and I should be in Seattle sometime this summer. Hopefully, we can get together and catch up!

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home