Monday, March 03, 2008

Vince Mira: The best of old and new

Last week I got a last minute invite from my dad to a show at the Triple Door. I didn't know much about the artist, Vince Mira, other than what my dad had told me, that he's 15 years old and primarily known for impersonating Johnny Cash. I didn't know what to expect, but my dad said he was really good so it seemed like a safe bet.



Mira wore Converse and a rhinestone studded shirt with a white tie. He played a guitar almost as big as him and he sang with a voice bigger than any other I've heard. I think Mira's voice is a little smoother than Cash's but the similarity really is amazing. He sang a few original songs as well and they stood up remarkably well next to the Johnny Cash classics that are his staple.

I think the thing that struck me most though about the show was the collaborative aspect. It made me think of a time in music history before I was born that I feel like I really missed out on. The time of variety shows, when several bands would tour together, maybe even playing some songs together. Like Johnny Cash did, with the Carter Family, and the other Sun artists. Until this show I think I'd seen one concert where all the bands/artists on the ticket played together. It just seems like something that doesn't happen anymore.

At this show, the back up band (The Roy Kay Trio, an excellent rockabilly band, also from Seattle) was also one of the opening acts. Another one of his opening bands was headed up by the co-author of one of Mira's original songs (which they sang together). He'd give the stage to his collaborators to do their own thing and then he'd come back and have them join him in duets. He did an especially great duet of Jackson with Amy Nicole Lewis who also sang back up for him with her two sisters on a couple of songs. The Lewis Sisters certainly invite comparisons to the Carter Family and definitely added even more to the collaborative feel of the show.

Vince Mira is a spectacular musician with a voice that I think could fill any room around and still seem larger than life. I think he's not just keeping alive the music of Johnny Cash, he's also seems to be keeping alive that a spirit of musical collaboration that has been noticeably absent from the musical landscape lately.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree amazing show 15 yrs.
i read on the seattle p.i. that he almost started a riot at the gorge sasquatch festival crazy man thanks for posting this

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to meet Vince Mira at the Can Can in Seattle and he is AMAZING and very handsome,I love his voice and Style. One thing I notice about him is that he is very humble and that is one of the best qualities a person can have.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home