Friday, January 18, 2008

The definition of me

About a year ago I wrote about my inability to come up with a decent about me blurb for my blog profile (or any of my online profiles). That hasn't changed (and neither has what is written in my about me blurb). I'm thinking about finally giving in to the idea that people can be defined by their likes and dislikes and I'm going to test the theory here.

I like satsumas. I think they smell like Christmas which has always been one of my favorite holidays because I also like giving gifts. I like knowing that I know someone really well and that because of that knowledge I can give them something that will make them happy, or be useful to them. In recent years it's become less of a Christmastime thing and more of a year round thing because, well, I'm not really Christian per se, not actively, and while I love the gift giving it's much more satisfying to do it randomly rather than at one predesignated time of year. Even so, I still love satsumas. Not the ones with seeds though, the smell is the same but you only get the full effect of the smell when you peel and eat them and eating them is way less fun with seeds.

I don't like reality television. I don't think it's remotely real and when you consider that, it's far less interesting than scripted television. Plus I have it on fairly good authority that many of the writers that work on reality television shows (not credited as writers, naturally, but rather given producing related titles), would like to join the Writers Guild of America but can't without risking their jobs.

I like music, most types, especially rock, but I really don't like songs about murder. When I say that, you should know, it's not just a bias against rap music. First of all, I like some rap music and secondly the first song I hated because it was about murder was Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles so I'm an equal opportunity hater. When I was in my junior high choir we did a whole Beatles retrospective and a classmate of mine said we couldn't sing Hey Jude because her father had told her he thought it was about drug use (which by the way it totally is not), but she (and her father) had no problem with us singing Maxwell's Silver Hammer which is quite clearly and indisputably about serial murder.

I like cats. I like dogs too, in fact I like all animals, but there seems to be a prevalent opinion that you have to choose sides and be either a cat person or a dog person and if that's true I have to say I'm a cat person. Even though one of my cats wakes me up three hours before I need to get up every night. If my alarm is set for 6:00AM she wakes me up at around 3:00AM, if the alarm is set for 9:00 she wakes me up at 6:00. I don't know how she knows what time I'm supposed to get up but she always wakes me up right around 3 hours before it's time and then keeps me awake for about an hour. Annoying? Yes, but she's so cute I can't hold it against her. Plus I know that she's doing it out of love. She has to be in the same room as me all the time, she even follows me into the bathroom, that's devotion (so all you haters who think cats don't get attached to people can suck it).

I like springtime. Right now it's still cold, it even snowed a few days ago, but you can feel spring coming even through the cold. I love springtime almost as much as I love fall, sometimes even more. This spring is kind of biter sweet for me now because it makes me miss the English Garden in Munich. I love forget-me-nots, their one of my two favorite flowers (the other is lilacs which are also one of the first flowers of spring) and they were all over the English Garden. They look a little different than the ones we have here in the states but when I saw them there (first in Switzerland) and I asked my step-mom what they were called (in German) she said "vergesse mich nicht". There are parts of the English Garden where you can't see the grass at all because the forget-me-nots cover it completely.

I like learning new things. I like it when people ask me questions that I know the answers to. I like Zoos and Aquariums even though they also make me a little sad. I like cooking, but I like baking more. I like reading the New York Times and doing, or trying to do, the crossword puzzles. I like reading books, and watching movies, and watching television; I like stories. I like arguing. I like limes. I'll order gin and tonic and eat the slice of lime that comes with it. In fact sometimes I order extra slices of line and eat them too. I like taking pictures, especially candid ones. I like going to baseball games but I don't like watching it on tv. I like swimming everyday but not enough to get up earlier to do it because I like sleep more. I like the smell of coffee but not so much the taste (unless it's got a bunch of sugar and cream in it). I like tea, both the beverage and the meal (I enjoy the tiny sandwiches and mini-pastries). I like beer. I used to hate beer and when you don't like beer everyone will tell you it's an acquired taste and you will scoff but it turns out it really is an acquired taste. I like etymology. I like puns. I like asparagus and gruyere quiche. I like ginger ale flavored Halls. I like gyros and vegetable pakora and I really like the fact that there is a restaurant in Seattle that serves them both. I like buying cookbooks, but I rarely consult them when I'm cooking (only when I'm baking). I like bare feet. I also, ironically, like socks. Most women will spend their time browsing for shoes, but I am far more devoted to the hosiery section.

I don't like crowds and traffic so I tend to stay home on holidays like 4th of July and New Years Eve. In fact I don't really like driving at all. I used to love it. The freedom to just get in the car and go anywhere I wanted was nice until I realized that it never really existed. I was never free to go wherever I wanted. I always had responsibilities and I'm not a person who can just ignore my responsibilities.

I don't like tomatoes. I like tomato based foods but not tomatoes themselves.

I don't like snow on roads. I like snow, just not on roads I have to drive on. I like thunder and rain but I don't like lightning and I don't like wind. I was almost struck by lightning as a kid and sometime that same year the picture window in our living room was blown in by a wind storm; I hold a grudge.

I don't like talking on the phone, except to my mom and my best friend, otherwise I prefer e-mail, text messages, GChat, or in person conversations. I don't like folding the corners down on my books, but I also don't like bookmarks so I'll usually just use a folded post-it note. I don't like dance clubs, I like dancing, but I really don't like the clubs. I don't like flying, I think I may have finally overcome the fear of flying but I still don't like it. I don't like s'mores. I like toasted marshmallows, but not s'mores.

I like it when black cats cross my path and I consider the number 13 to be lucky. I like going to the dentist.

I like cream in my coffee. I like to sleep late on Sundays. And I like people who recognise those last two as Lyle Lovett lyrics.

I really don't think this is helping. I still don't know what to put in the about me section of my profile. I think the about me section is kind of like reality tv. I mean, it's not like people can really get an idea what you're like from a short blurb on an online profile. Even if you read every entry of this blog you might not get a good idea what I'm really like. So, I'm not sure why I'm trying so hard to come up with something. It just bugs me that I'm unable to easily define myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home