Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Not just a great U2 song

Some people might consider this a guilty pleasure, but I don't believe in feeling guilty about pleasures. So, I have no problem admitting that I love One Tree Hill and not just because it's named after a really great U2 song, and not just because it's one of the only things new on TV right now. Maybe it's a little bit campy and maybe that's even why I like it, but I also don't tend to get too far into analyzing why I like what I like. I just like what I like.

Having said that I feel that One Tree Hill is on a dangerous precipice. It was a high school show and now high school is over for the Tree Hill gang, that always tends to lead a show down hill. Also, it's premiere was shifted to mid-season which must mean that the CW didn't order a full season. To be honest, I don't like it so much that I if it were canceled after this season I'd be distraught, but I like enough to wish it had been given a full season order.

While I might not care too much if the show is canceled after this year there are certain plot points that might make me quite distraught. For example, if Nathan ends up hooking up with the hot nanny Haley hired to take care of their kid then I'll be very upset. If they drag out the Peyton/Lindsay/Lucas love triangle for the whole season I'll be upset. If Brooke ends up running her business into the ground I'll be upset. If Dan gets out of jail and comes back to Tree Hill a changed man (or even the same old evil one) I'll probably stop watching.

I know it seems a little hokey and a lot contrived but I like the fact that the gang is all back in Tree Hill. They went their separate ways after high school but I don't see any reason they shouldn't all be back in town and I like the back stories they've come up with for how and why that happened. I like that Brooke is the biggest success of them all (for the time being). I like this show and I'm glad it's back but I really hope it doesn't take a wrong turn before it's done. If it does, you can count on me to point out exactly where it has gone wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home