Sunday, December 09, 2007

My wonder years

After I found my high school yearbook a couple months ago, and was bombarded by a high school storyline on Grey's Anatomy last month, there was yet another reminder of my wonder years. I was trying to finally finish unpacking the rest of my boxes at my new apartment (which I've been living in for two months). In one of the boxes I found a bunch of old letters and pictures from high school. Including the last school paper from my senior year. Our school printed "senior wills" in the last issue of the school paper each year.

Of course, being me, even cynical, angsty, high school me, I left my undying love and affection to several people. A guy I had an on/off sort of love/hate kind of relationship with in high school left me a quarter to buy a clue with in his senior will. I guess the price of a clue must be a bit higher than he thought because I'm pretty sure I still don't have one.

I don't know that I want to really. The thing is I have a lot of faith in people. I believe that people are basically good and that they mean the things they say. I'm not excessively naive, just naive enough. It's not like I don't know not to take any wooden nickels. It's not as if I think it's okay to take candy from strangers. It's not as though I don't know what a boy has on his mind when he calls at 1:00AM and asks you to come over.

It bothers me when I'm being genuine with someone and they assume some ulterior motive, or assume that I'm lying to them. You see, I'd rather go through life occasionally getting hurt because I'm too trusting, than to go through life always thinking of all the possible angles people could working, and the lies they could be telling, and they ways in which they could be out to get me. My naivete is a choice. Like any kind of faith, I choose to believe the best of people...until they prove me wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home