Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Bring it on home to me

If you know me, or read my other blog, you probably know that I'm a big fan of music in general and rock music in particular. A couple months ago I found myself in a three sided debate with a couple friends about which band is the greatest rock band ever. For the most part we agreed on the top three, or two of the top three, but disagreed about the order. I said, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, one friend said The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and the other said Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Who. Of course then we over ruled her on the Dylan, saying that if she wanted to call him the best singer/song writer we'd have no objection but he didn't belong in this category. She was unconvinced but said even if we bumped Dylan she still wouldn't put the Stones in the top three. I don't think we ever got her to name which band she would put in the top three if not Dylan, but at least we all agreed on two bands, Led Zeppelin and the Who (I think she's crazy not to include the Stones, but that's her opinion and she's entitled to it).

I am only 29 years old, which, if you do the math means I was only 2 years old in 1980 when John Bonham died and, as Led Zeppelin hasn't toured since, have not seen them play live [note: I'm from Seattle and their last Seattle show was in 1977 so, again if you do the math you'll find they haven't played here since before I was born]. I have, however, seen the Who (twice) and it was seeing the Who that actually turned me into a real classic rock fan. Given that, and the fact that I also haven't seen the Rolling Stones live, I should, perhaps, withhold judgement on the greatest rock band issue. I do consider seeing it live to be the true test of music...or...the combination of good studio recordings and great live shows, which is to say that a truly great band can do both well. I just always seem to miss the Rolling Stones (or already have blown my concert budget on other shows) and I never thought Led Zeppelin would tour again so that level of comparison never really occurred to me in this case.

Unless you live under a rock you probably know that Led Zeppelin played a live show yesterday in London. It was a benefit show though, not the launching of a concert tour. Today's Seattle PI blog says that yesterday's concert has fans speculating about whether or not Led Zeppelin will tour again. It's true. I'm a fan. I'm speculating. As a person with a tendency towards logical arguments I have to lay out the evidence as I see it.

The current issue of Rolling Stone has an article about the return of Led Zeppelin in which Bonham's son (who filled in for his dad on drums at the London show) eludes to the possibility of future Zeppelin shows. Also, the launch of the official Led Zeppelin website is dated November 20th this year. What reason do you suppose they would have, after all this time the internet has been around, to launch an official site now? It seems to me the only reason they would launch an official site now is if they're going to have tour dates to post there in the near future.

I'd be thrilled to finally be able to make a comparison on their live show (versus the Who). If this review is anything to go by, it looks like they could steal the top spot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home