Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A misty mellow mood

It was really misty this morning where I live and that always makes me think of Led Zeppelin for some reason. Mist puts me in a good, mellow mood and there's always music to go with my moods. I'm not the only one who connects weather with mood and mood with music (and therefor weather with music, isn't logic fun). What does this have to do with anything?

Well, take a look at the first several days of my songs of the day:

What Is And What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)

Shh (Atmosphere)

Just Like a Woman (Bob Dylan)

Self Esteem (The Ofspring)

This Year (Mountain Goats)

Juke Box Hero (Foreigner)

Whipping Post (Allman Brothers)

Winter (Rolling Stones)

I started out the year in a good mood, mellow, like today, and the music matched that mood (as did the lyrics, "So if you wake up with the sunrise, and all your dreams are still as new, and happiness is what you need so bad, Well, girl, the answer lies with you, yeah", "If you can drink tap water and breathe the air say, shhh"), but then it was cold and stormy and my mood was foul, you can see it in the music (and lyrics), I went from defeated to angry and back again ("She breaks just like a little girl", "I'm just a sucker with low self esteem", "I am gonna make it through this year if it kills me", "Sometimes I feel like I'm tied to the whipping post", "It's sure been a cold, cold winter, And a lot of love is all burned out, It's sure been a hard, hard winter, My feet been draggin' 'cross the ground")

You'll notice I skipped right over Jukebox Hero. That's because the significance of that song had nothing to do with my mood (or the weather). I was in Subway (committing to a sandwich topping) and Jukebox Hero came on the radio and it reminded me of my new found friend (to whom the songs of the day were addressed) because he is a huge Foreigner fan. In fact, if you know him, as I'm sure some of you do since I see his blog in my stats as the referring URL occasionally, you should buy him a Foreigner CD (perhaps as a graduation gift) or make him a Foreigner mix, he'll love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home