Monday, July 07, 2008

If you have half a brain

I'm going to jump ahead and deviate from my existing songs of the day list because sometimes I'm non-linear that way.

The song for today is Escape (The Pina Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes. There are several possible reasons that this song might make the songs of the day not the least of which is that it's an unbelievably difficult to shake earworm (almost as bad as Hotel California but not quite). I saw Wanted on Thursday night and this song has been stuck in my head ever since.

Unfortunately I really have nothing to say about Wanted. It was okay. Lots of action very little plot. I find myself far more fascinated by the actors themselves than the characters they portray which is unusual for me because normally I'm far more captivated by fictional characters than real life ones. There are two really interesting characters in the film (Wesley's father and Fox), but they have very small parts.

In fact, even the song (Escape) has more of a plot than the movie. Two people, already together, but both still looking for that one perfect person. One places a personal ad and the other answers it. Both of those characters have arc, albeit a short, three minute or less arc, but arc none the less.

You see in that story a guy gets bored with his honey and he thinks that the one perfect girl is still out there. He reads a personal ad and it strikes a chord with him. He likes pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. He doesn't like yoga, and he has half a brain. So, he writes his own ad asking the girl to meet him and when she does it turns out the girl from the ad is the same honey he thought he was bored with but he now realizes that she is that one perfect girl he was looking for all along.

Really none of the characters in Wanted have that much of an arc. Wesley, perhaps, is not the same by the end as he was to start, though I would argue that his defining characteristic (i.e. he doesn't know who he is) remains the same. There certainly isn't any compelling evidence that he has any better idea by the end than he did at the beginning. His actions have changed but his motivations really haven't. And the more interesting characters, his father and Fox, definitely don't have arc, they are most interesting precisely for their lack of arc, their stubborn adherence to an ideal that has failed everyone.

In any event, the song was played in the movie and I've had it stuck in my head ever since, now hopefully I've passed it on to some of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home