Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The breakfast of the indecisive

I have another blog which I haven't posted on in months. It was created primarily to update friends and family about my trip to Europe last year and to talk about concerts and theater. I decided to fold the theater and concert bits in to this blog (sort of) and phase out the other blog (unless I take another extended trip) but even though I haven't posted on it in more than six months I still get stat reports on it and for a long time it was getting more hits than this one despite the lack of new content there. Most of those hits are coming from Google Images, and of those hits coming from Google Images most are from this picture:



That is a full (proper) English breakfast and I photographed it for several reasons. First of all, I promised a friend of mine that I'd take pictures of all my food on that trip, though in truth I rarely did and had it not been for the other reasons, probably still wouldn't have in this case. The second reason was a guy I met in Munich. He was from Scotland and was constantly complaining about not being able to find a proper breakfast in Germany, I told him I'd order one when I got to London and I promised to eat all of it, even the black pudding, and I took a picture of it both to prove myself (there's also pictures of me eating it for proof) and to make him jealous. The third reason I took this picture has to do with my inability to make even the smallest decision. You see, at greasy diners in the UK (and Ireland), you can walk in and order a full breakfast and cup of tea and they just bring this to you no further questions asked. You don't have a choice of meats, or a choice of toast, or a choice of teas. It's just breakfast and a cup of tea. I love the simplicity of that, even if I don't love baked beans for breakfast, or black pudding ever (unless I forget what's in it).

I love this picture, of course, for the reminder it is of all those things and more, but I don't think it's the best picture I've taken. In fact it's neither the most interesting subject I have pictures of on my other blog, nor the best photo.

There's this picture:



This is the sunrise over Lago Majora. First of all I would imagine Lago Majora to be a frequently searched term as it's a popular resort area of southern Switzerland/northern Italy and also a key location in a famous work of literature (Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway). Also this, I think, is a nice picture. It's one of my favorites. Of course it means something to me as well. I couldn't sleep when I first got to Europe. I should have been exhausted but for the first week or so, I just couldn't sleep in, and was up before dawn everyday. Like kids on Christmas eve who are too excited to sleep because they can't wait to tear into their presents, every day of that trip was a gift that I couldn't wait to tear into. So, yes, the picture means something, but a) so does the picture of my breakfast and b)I would expect this picture to be a more interesting subject (to people who aren't me) and a more visually appealing picture than my breakfast.

I also have pictures on that blog of Robert Randolph playing at the Showbox:



and the Mountain Goats and Pony Up at Triple Door:



Okay, those two aren't especially great pictures, but they are more interesting subjects than my breakfast.



I have all sorts of pictures there, pictures of Bellinzona Castle, Schloss Neuschwanstein, cute animals, cathedrals and landmarks across Europe, not to mention boys in bike shorts,





but what people seem interested in is the picture I took of my breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home