Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Random Sampling: Dawson, Dulcinea and Die Hard

This will be my surrender to the chaos. A series of randomness.

I've been hearing a bunch of ads for produce on the radio lately. This company's ad says that they "make" cantaloupes with ridges that change color so you know when they're ripe. In fact they refer to all of their produce as being made rather than grown. I find it not just a little odd, in fact, pretty disturbing. Of course, the company is called Dulcinea so it's actually kind of fitting I suppose.

I saw the new Pirates over the weekend. It was good, better than the second but not as good as the first. Really the only noticeable improvement from the first one is that Orlando Bloom is really pretty. In fact there's pretty much nothing in the world as pretty as Orlando Bloom in this movie. Even standing right next to Johnny Depp and Kiera Knightly he's still the prettiest thing on screen.

Pirates of the Caribbean has odd significance in my life, the first one I mean, because the day I saw it was the day I realized that I wasn't avoiding making choices in life. It turned out that I'd been making them without even realizing it for ages. It was really the day I realized that life is all about choices. Which may seem sort of obvious but there were always some things I just thought weren't choices. So, I keep expecting to have similar shocking realizations at the sequels but it keeps not happening. Really it's illogical. The epiphany I had at the first one had nothing to do with the movie. It had way more to do with what was going on in my life then and who I saw the movie with than the movie itself, but I have indelibly burned in my brain that I had a profound realization about my life at that movie.

Speaking of profound realizations, I've been watching Dawson's Creek. Non-sequitor you say? Not so. I've also been house sitting and house sitting at this place always gets the song Jack and Diane stuck in my head (no significance there, someone just made reference to the song and got it stuck in my head the week of Thanksgiving at which time I was also house sitting for these same friends) Anyhow the song (which tells you to "hold on to 16 as long as you can") and the Dawson's Creek are symptoms of my recent pre-occupation with high school these days (which has more to do with profound realizations than you might think).

I've led a pretty blessed life without much tragedy. However, the few close calls with exceptionally bad things that I have had all happened when I was in high school. I wanted to let go of 16 as fast as I could and leave it as far behind me as possible. Watching Dawson's Creek is a lot easier than reliving my own high school memories though remarkably similar.

In any event Dawson's Creek is a font of profundity, like this, "anyone who's never been hurt is either very lucky or very lonely", though watching it is mildly painful sometimes both because it's totally over the top and because, at the same time, it's so accurate. Seeing Joey Potter give up the chance to go to France for the summer because of a boy is painful. It gets better of course, two years later she jumps on a tiny sail boat to sail off for the summer with no particular itinerary...with a boy, but there's a difference. It's a different boy, but also it's a boy that challenges her rather than one who holds her back. Seeing all the angst is painful, the back and fourth pining is painful. I remember being in high school (and just after it) and being in love with my best friend and being terrified of telling him because I thought things would never be the same, that I might both be rejected and lose a friend. Luckily I've since learned that rejection isn't really that bad, and that friendship can endure through either rejection or a relationship (even a failed one), and I've learned to look for the people who challenge me, but thinking back on all that turmoil makes me squirm a little on the inside.

I have no appropriate segue but I suppose that fits the chaos theory I'm working off here. While in the DVD section at Barnes and Noble picking up season one of Dawson's Creek I noticed the following: Family Ties & Bosom Buddies, which I love, but I had to wonder, how is it those two shows made it to DVD and the Wonder Years hasn't and Everwood still has only one season out on DVD? The world doesn't make sense.

At least Live Free or Die Hard comes out next month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home