Saturday, April 28, 2007

On a pedestal

Someone said recently that he thinks I put him on a pedestal and I can't stop thinking about it. I suppose, in regard to some things, it's true. I do put him on a pedestal a little sometimes. There are several reasons for that, good ones, but the primary reason is that he challenges me, sometimes making me feel like the most boring, daft, idiot in the world but mostly making me think, and feel, and laugh, and push the limits of my intelligence and humor. I haven't met anyone in a long time, maybe ever, that challenges me to quite this extent. It impresses me and I'm not a person who can easily hide, or who bothers trying to hide, when I'm impressed with someone.

I'm not a person who generally bothers trying to hide much of anything actually, but I especially don't try to hide it when I think someone is amazing. First of all, I don't know that I could hide it even if I tried, secondly I don't see a reason to. Perhaps there are those who would feel like they don't live up to my high estimation but that is a confidence issue really and if someone impresses me I feel like they ought to have a huge amount of confidence. Not so much as to be considered arrogant but nearly that much. If they are humble, at all really, I feel like I ought to build them up.

I'm impressed by intelligence and sense of humor which can be fairly subjective qualities but one of the other things that really impresses me is decisiveness which is a pretty concrete thing. The ability to figure out what you want and make it happen amazes me. It's not so much the making it happen that impresses me because that I'm pretty good at once I finally decide what I want, but making those decisions is difficult and anyone who can do it well is deserving of praise in my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home