Monday, April 02, 2007

Politics vs. Government: Getting Things Done

President Bush says that we shouldn't pull troops out of Iraq because it would endanger our security here at home. I find that a totally bizarre statement. It's odd for me to find myself agreeing with the president about anything but at least I find myself agreeing with him while still thinking he's a moron. Seriously? It might endanger our security? Sure, that, or it might leave Iraq in a civil war the likes of which the world hasn't seen in a long time, maybe ever.

I appreciate that the president is, kind of, admitting a horrible mistake that he made which has cost our country billions of dollars and cost many of our troops their lives, not to mention cost many innocent Iraqi lives and cost the Iraqi people most of their infrastructure (electricity, water, etc) which have still not totally been rebuilt. Can't he just say he was wrong and that we can't leave now because we have to clean up his mistake. That, honestly, would be the best way to spin it, I think. I assume the party thinks that their chances in the next election cycle will be better if they strike fear in our hearts and maybe that's true. I hope not though.

I like the question David Brooks posed in his column a couple weeks ago. He said, "I wonder if 2008 will be the election in which voters put aside dreams of finding somebody pure and good, and select somebody they think will be wily and effective". While I do consider myself an "issues voter" the first thing I think about when I'm about to cast my ballot is whether or not the person I'm voting for can get the job done. I like to consider myself idealistic but I understand that the only way to achieve ideals is through compromise. It's the reason you can't vote for someone like Ralph Nader. Forget what people say about how voting for Nader cost (or will cost) the Democrats an election by taking away from their base. The real reason not to vote for Nader (or someone like him) is because he won't be able to get anything done. He's too attached to his principles, to his ideals. I know it sounds odd to criticize someone for being too principled, but seriously, think about what it takes to keep the wheels moving on an entire country. Compromise. I don't like to compromise my principles, ideals or morals, which is why I could never be an effective legislator and why I leave government to people who can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home