Sunday, January 28, 2007

Breakfast is better before 3:00PM

Today I was having breakfast (at 2:30PM because I ambitiously like to try to have breakfast before 3:00PM) with two of my best friends. The three of us are all having exceptionally early mid-life crises (ages 28, 30, and 31). Or possibly it's just the general confusion and indecisiveness that marks our generation (and for which this blog is named).

They are both lawyers thinking about drastic career changes and I never really embarked on a career. I am actually kind of proud of resisting law school myself since it seems everyone I know thinks I ought to be a lawyer. I went to college straight after high school but I told my mother (also a lawyer and also one of my best friends) that the only reason I was going was to meet a man. She was livid at the time but now that I'm back in school she seems quite keen on the idea that school is a good place to meet men. Of course, that means I'll have to start dating guys 6-10 years younger than me, but that's fine by me.

I spent two years at WWU and still couldn't decide what I wanted to do (among the things I considered - Psychology, Philosophy and Theater), so I quit. I went back about 6 years later and now I'm going to be graduating in a couple months (with an English degree). I still have no idea what I want to do though. It's frustrating trying to think of a career option that will make me enough money to pay back my student loans and yet not make me want to hurl myself out of the nearest window.

So, today the girls and I were talking about what to do with the rest of our lives and coming up with all sorts of wild ideas like me going to rabbinical school, or the three of us quitting our jobs and working our way across the country by waitressing at every Denny's, or producing a film travel log of our efforts to track down a Pogues show in Dublin (and possibly marketing t-shirts that say "I got puked on by Shane MacGowan" since there must be a market for them), or working as baristas, or starting a band. I guess we really might die with our options open, but as long as we can still get together for ridiculously late breakfasts and laugh about it I'm okay with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger T. Lynn M. said...

Here I am reading blogs because I have to take a "learning how to use computers" while pursuing a new career after 18yrs. in nursing and then raising 3 kids (I've now decided I want to be an accountant when I grow up). Computers and the Internet have become an integral part of my daily life even before returning to college, but generationally overwhelmed by the use I see my now adult children use it as their social contact with the world. At least one does socialize outside of WOW craft. I met my husband in Seattle, and my family still lives there, beautiful place but the weather in southern california does grow on you. Anyway, back to the current career option, I like numbers (like a 5000 piece puzzle and finding a piece that fits!) but also getting too old and ornery to work for someone else, so needed an option of "self-employment." So I'll see where it takes me and enjoy the trip.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home