Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My apologies to the 80s

As someone who claims to be (or at least have been) a film buff there are a fair amount of holes in my film viewing history. For example, I have never seen Citizen Kane. It was on the syllabus for a film class I took but I missed that day. If only I could have been out sick the day we watched Zardoz instead (believe me I wish I could un-see that one), but alas it was Citizen Kane day that I missed.

I'm trying to make up for it now. I've been interspersing classics into my queue in between Entourage and Mad Men viewings at a rate of two per month. Last month it was Funny Face and A Star is Born (the original), this month Eight Men Out and The Natural...but I have a lot of catching up to do.

Some of these are of my own choosing, but many of them are recommendations from people. Someone will say, "You haven't seen _______! Oh my God, it's classic you have to see it" and so I will dutifully add it to my queue and watch it eventually (Yes, Goodfellas is still on there and I will get around to it some day).

For the most part, whether or not they were of my own choosing or recommendations, I've really liked all of the "classics" that have been part of my re-education in film. However, I have to admit, because it's on my mind (and on TV a lot in the run up to Halloween), and I know how unpopular this will be....I really didn't like The Goonies.

I know I should fit perfectly in to this film's demographic. I'm a child of the 80's and a fan of many of the cast members. I should love the The Goonies, but I just can't work up any enthusiasm for it. Maybe if I'd seen it as a kid (as most of my friends who've recommended it did) I'd feel differently, but I didn't. Maybe it just loses something in translation from kid to adult. I don't know, but I really didn't like it. Maybe it was just that it had been so hyped to me that it just couldn't live up to it, but I don't think so. It wasn't just that I didn't see what all the fuss was about, I actually disliked it.

So, my apologies to the 80's, I feel like I've betrayed you, but the heart wants what the heart wants, and mine does not want The Goonies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home