Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Chuck vs. The Upfronts

I know it's baseball season and I should be writing about the changes in the Mariner's outfield, but in a couple of weeks the television upfronts will take place and at the moment I'm preoccupied with that. Lucky for me I don't have an editor telling me what I can and can't write about. While I had been holding out hope for all the major networks to abandon the "season" all together and alternate new programming throughout the year it seems unlikely (though the cable networks seem to be starting down that path). At the moment my concern about the season is secondary to my concern that my favorite show might get canceled.

This has become an annual ritual for me going back to 2001 when my all time favorite show (Sports Night) did get canceled. At the time I didn't know about the upfronts, but I learned about them quickly from reading every article I could find on the fate of my favorite show. That was just the first of many shows I've loved and lost. Firefly. Veronica Mars. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The Loop. Every other year or so I find myself on upfront vigil, waiting to see if one of my favorite shows is going to be canceled.

This year I'm lighting candles for Chuck. I feel like I should make a case for keeping the show but I'll keep it short. It's smart and funny and combines drama, comedy, romance and action seamlessly. It has an entire ensemble cast of likable (and three dimensional) characters. The thing is that all the great things I can say about it don't really do it justice. There's an intangible factor that you have to watch the show to really understand. Since it had its season finale on Monday and may get canceled before next season I can only recommend, for now, that you rent (or buy) the DVDs and then pray along with me that it doesn't get canceled. This blog is all about faith after all and I have faith that this one time the universe won't let my favorite show get canceled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home