Monday, February 28, 2005

Progress?

I have to admit I'm not making much progress towards becoming more decisive. I'm back in school after several years away. I dropped out of college in the first place, at least partly, because I couldn't decide on a major. At the time that was because nothing really appealed to me. Now I'm having the same problem, but this time it's because everything appeals to me.

I have a goal, sort of, at least I'm thinking about possibly going to medical school. That's progress for me, I have at least somewhat of an idea what I want to do when I'm done with school. However, since I need to finish my bachelors first I'm at a loss. I'd like to major in Communications, but then so would everyone else and I don't like that competition. Of course it would make sense to major in Biology, Chemistry or Bio-Chemistry since I plan on applying to med school when I'm done, but the University is going to start harassing me about why I haven't graduated yet if I do any of those simply because of the number of credits I'll have as I near completion. The advisor suggested that I "knock out" a Philosophy or Psychology major since I took a lot of credits in those two areas the first time I was in school and it would probably take the least amount of credits to do one of those and complete my med school pre-admission requirements.

As you can see it's quite a dilemma. I don't think I'm alone in finding this decision daunting. I'd like to be the kind of person who could just make this decision. Ideally I'd have such a well developed sense of self that it wouldn't even really be a decision, I'd just know what I'm supposed to do or what would be best or even what I'd like to do, but that's just not me. So in the end I let my registration priority and geography decide for me. By the time I was able to register I couldn't get into the Communications prerequisite classes. I have certain requirements I still have to take because they didn't exist when I first went to school. One is a 3 quarter foreign language requirement, so I had to take the second quarter of German. In order to not have back to back classes on opposites ends of campus I signed up for Biopsychology. So it looks like I'm going to end up a Psychology major by default. While I'm relieved to have that decision taken out of my hands in a way, it doesn't do much to appease my fear that I will die with my options open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home